Monday, April 12, 2010

Digital Outbreak: DJ JJ

Digital Outbreak
jj1

JJ - Outbreak Mix [DOWNLOAD NOW]



Tell us about the journey up to this point?
I've always loved music and Football, these two things were always what I would be doing with my time. I had a mad injury when I was 14 and had to stop football though and that's when I started doing music more. Every other kid wanted to be an mc to start with but all the people who I rolled with then (Mobbd Out) chipped in with buying records and that's when I started collecting as well. I finally got my decks at 15 and did some work experience in Rhythm Division and in that 2 weeks I networked loads, met Wiley, Target, Rapid, Tinchy all in there and that's pretty much where it started.

You're affliated with a lot of crews, OG's, A List,Eskibeat and Roll Deep. What's your situation with them?
I first went on Rinse to DJ for Wiley when I was 16, I then met Scratcha DVA and started doing 5-7pm mondays and fridays, with him. The feedback from the shows where great and from then we got asked to do the breakfast shows, which I miss because they were so much joke. Booking wise I DJ'ed at Frisco's Back To The Lab Vol1 launch party when I was 16 and over the last 4 years I've mixed with Tinchy Stryder, J2K at Flo-Rida's and The Game's concerts and held down a show on Rinse.FM. When it comes down to Crews I'm 100% O.Gz and A-list, both are strong teams consisting of some of the best mc's around so both are definitely main teams.

Grime has gone from all about Pirate Radio, which empowered the DJ as well as the MC. It's clear the attention has turned more to using Mixtapes as more of a form of promotion, which has made the scene focus more on the MC rather than the Team work of both. How does it feel like to be a DJ now and why do you think things have changed so much?
The scene's changed for the better in the sense of acquiring music is a lot easier then it was 3 years back but at the same time things have got worse, via the net music is just a click away for free. As DJ's we need to do more mix tapes and less free mixes, we mess ourselves up buy doing free stuff all the time. Don't get me wrong once and a while for a bit of promotion is fine but DJ's need to up their prices and not play for peanuts. Promoters want to book their mates who clang and havent got half the selection or talent a next DJ has but because he's cheaper he will get booked.DEAD.

How would you describe, as a DJ, the selection you choose to mix in a dance to on pirate radio?
My selection on my radio show differs quite a bit to what I would play in a dance only because of my time slot on rinse, 5-7pm Wednesdays. On my show i play a bit of everything from grime, dubstep, house, funky but in raves it's straight grime & dubstep.

Why did you choose to be a DJ and not be an MC like everyone else?
I chose to DJ rather then spit because I love making people dance, there's no better feeling for me then f*cking up a dance. Also at the time there were a million MC's coming up and hardly any Dj's. Out of my kinda age group theres Limit, Meschek, Nasty and one or two more.

Being a predominately grime playing DJ, how hard is it to get bookings, especially when grime nights are quite rare. Especially when there are people like Logan Sama who have a mainstream radio slot?
Being a grime DJ is harder work than people think with the booking situation because theres a lack of raves. Not to sound too full of myself but i think I can happily say I have f*cked up 90% of raves I've done (ask anybody that caught me and P-Money at the Den a month or so back) and my selection of Dubstep & Grime is a MADNESS to say the least.

Last month saw the closing of Rhythm Division, one of the physical birth places of grime, what was it like seeing something so important close?
Seeing Rhythm shut cut me up a lot and you're 100% right when you say birth place. That shop is always going to mean a lot to me because I practically grew up in there and purchased nearly all my records from there. I miss the days where I would ring and Sparky would say 'Wiley/Geeneus/Rapid or some one just dropped in a TP for ya ' them times it was a save your launch money thing. The shops not gone though cause you can still purchase things online at www.rhythmdivision.co.uk

Tell us about the selection and sound you've chose for the exclusive mix?
The selection for this mix was a lot more rave orientated, its fast paced, heavy bassed, and consist of all the artist and producers that make you skits out in a dance really. It's predominately grime but there is a few dubstep bangers in there, features the likes of O.Gz, Wiley, Silencer, Rudekid, Sukh Knight, Noah D, Breakage, J2K, S-X and many more.

Why do you love grime?
I love music but grime is always going to be the biggest part of that love , it's what I've grown up too, it's what I am around, it's the people I'm around so I can relate to it in so many ways. You just have to remember that feeling you had when you first heard Are You From The Endz, Eskimo or Pulse X in a rave and it pretty much sums up why I love the sound.

How can people hear you?
You can catch me on Rinse.fm every Wednesday 5-7pm, drive time just selecting a bag of fresh music for your bubbling pleasure.

Anything else you'd like to get off your chest
I'd like to big up every one working hard to push the sound and large up my brothers Spyro, Maximum,Vectra, Logan and all other selectors doing well.

Tracklist:
P-MONEY - EXCLUSIVE MADNESS
DOCTOR P - GARGOYLE
DOK&SPYRO - I MISS YOU RMX
SKEPTA - UFO
TRILLA - WOOO
FOOTS - WOOO
P-MONEY- WOOO
DJ Q - OH
NOCTURNAL - INA CORNER REMIX
LIL NASTY&YUNGA - BADA DEN DEM
FLAVA D - PROPER
RUDEKID - ELECTRIC
NEWHAM GENS FT ESCO- IAMA GENERAL
BEARS - RUNAWAY
P MONEY - SLANG
S-X - 0121
WILEY - MC PON 141
TEDDY - LAST PHONE CALL
O.Gz - WAH DA RASS
WILEY - BRAINIAC 5
SUKH KNIGHT - BORN INVINCIBLE VIP
J2K - 2010
JOY ORBISON - HYPO MGNO
DONEO - SPEECHLESS
FRISCO - OVER
SPOOKY - IRON GATES REMIX
NERO - THIS WAY
TEMPZ - NEXT HYPE ACAPELLA
SKEPTA - RED BULL ACADEMY
DIZZEE RASCAL - STAND UP TALL ACAPELLA
R1 RYDERS - HYDRULIC

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:11 PM

    big interview and big mix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting interview as usual. Nice mix, enjoyed the amount of P-Money in it, big artist. Liked the Doneo song being mixed with the bassy beat, different and a good move.

    I appreciate this site, makes it much easier to keep upto date with grime since im from Yorkshire. Not much going on with grime up here. Thanks again Hyperfrank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Problem got some new music and mixes coming this way so keep your eyes peeled!

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
I'm tired of them rap neeks walking round in their akademik suits, Yankee hats with the flat peeks.
Home | HYPERFRANK | Contact