Sunday, June 06, 2010

Digital Outbreak: Tre Mission

Digital Outbreak
TRE MISSION1

As we've seen over the years, grime isn't solely just a traditional London based sound anymore, with fans worldwide. However there has yet to be any artists flying the flag from out of Great Britain. Until this year, where we've heard Japan MC's going in over hardcore homegrown beats and representing across the Atlantic we've had Tre Mission. He's a teenager from Canada's most famous city, Toronto. He's apart of a collective called DSReligion and while he's not flowing hard with his strong North American accent over grime and hip hop beats, he's making them.


Tre Mission going in over Rude Kid's Emergency taken from Are You Ready? [HMV]
[DOWNLOAD]



When did you first come into contact with the grime sound and what got you excited about it, compared to all the other music that surrounded you?
I first came into cantact with grime around 2007. I was introduced to the genre by my production partner and second half of DSReligion, Rjaye. What got me excited about it was the slang. Right away from listening to Frisco, who was the first grime artist I really took in, I heard so many slang terms that I thought were unique to Toronto outside of Jamaica. When i looked into it deeper I realized that people in the UK talk just like us down here, minus the accent. Once I started listening more, the overall sound of Grime grew on me, and I was impressed with the out of the box approach that the Grime producers have.

Living in Canada, is there others just like yourself or is it still growing?
Yes, there are others like myself here, but not many. In Toronto there is a fair amount of grime fans, and most people whom I introduce to grime are very surprised by what they hear. But overall, the scene is fairly miniscule, and seeing as Grime is essentially a new genre, there is still a lot of time. I think that the main reason that grime hasnt made too much noise outside of the UK, is because North America is not very open minded. They hear the British accent and dismiss the quality. For example, I played various versions of Filthy Riddim for a friend of mine who has never had a chance to really take in Grime. At first he was said "Oh this sounds weird" and then when I played him my version he was like "Wow this beat is dirty!" So that goes to show that the only boundary really holding back Grime is the accent. It's not that the dialect sounds bad, its the listeners inability to accept something outside of the norm.

As a lover of grime and also an artist how do you access grime as well as buy music, is it easy to get hold of?
When it comes to new grime, I really just use the internet. Sites like hyperfrank really help me out because it can be incredibly hard to find Grime in Toronto. I'm not sure about the rest of Canada though because its so big! The main indie record store in Toronto has only two or three grime titles, one of which was a Roll Deep compilation from 03!

It seems that even in our own country barriers have been brought up for the artists just outside London, like the Midlands and Manchester, do you feel that the predominately London scene has embraced you?
I think that the London scene has really embraced me, which surprised me. When I first started posting my music on the Grime Forum I thought everyone was going to say "oh hes copying UK etc", but I received an overwhelming amount of positive feedback. In my opinion, the reason that UK has accepted me is because not only do I do Grime and spit Grime flows properly, but I still have my own flow. I'm not just taking Grime flows and trying to recreate them, I have a very creative approach to my music whether it be lyrics, production and I am actually talking sense. My music is not always about my ends or how much people I have ready to back me in the hood, or how much money i spend on clothes, or any other superficial topics; I'm actually saying something, while at the same time making music that is ready to be pushed to the masses.

What's next for Tre Mission?
I'm shooting a video for Under 21 off of my promo and also for When I Come Thru which was produced by Deeco who I believe is the best producer around. Im in the process of servicing Name Tag to North American DJ's and radio stations, and I will be shooting a ready for TV video which will drop most likely in the early Fall (autumn). I will be doing a new and improved mix of the song for the video which will be featured on my upcoming EP. And last but not least I have some collaborations in the works with some UK artists and I think all the fans will be pleasantly surprised!

Shout out to Nathan because without him, everything I do would have been behind schedule and the promo wouldnt be nearly as hard, nor would i be recieving the attention now. I will always remember people like Nathan, Nick Blunt, and Hyperfrank who supported me from the beginning.


Tre Mission's - DON'T THINK - [Download]
Banner

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:46 PM

    this freestyle is alot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:19 AM

    Yep, merked the beat =)
    Gwan GRIME!

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
I'm tired of them rap neeks walking round in their akademik suits, Yankee hats with the flat peeks.
Home | HYPERFRANK | Contact